Monday, June 30, 2008

Scrub a Dub Dub...

The kids and I got this really cool book at the library and have been waiting to try our hand at soap making. Here are the things you need: Soap base: clear glycerin soap

soap dyes, if you want to color your soap

a few of those bath scrubbies with the cord.

some sort of a dome shaped mold--I used disposable plastic drinking cups.

Step 1 Cut your soap base in pieces so you can melt it in your microwave. We started out with 30 seconds and then did 15 second intervals until soap was melted. Step 2 Once you soap is melted add you coloring dye and stir, we added about 10-15 drops of color. Step 3 Spray you cup/mold with cooking spray to easy the removal process. Place your scrubby in the cup or mold and CAREFULLY pour in your melted soap. I kept telling my kids "it is hot like lava" We also used a kitchen knife to hold down the scrubby while we poured in the soap. Also, make sure your cord is at the top. Step 4 Let them set and cool. I put ours in the fridge. Remove and enjoy!!

You could package them and give as a gift:

Or just hang them in the tub:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are so cute! I think we are going to make soaps with necklaces and rings inside as favors for my daughter's birthday. I have never made soaps before - you make it look easy! :)

Little Bits Of Everything said...

Thanks Amy, It was really fun and boys who are 10 and 6 were able to do it all...with supervision of course! :)

Shelly G said...

Those turned out so wonderully... I love the way you packaged them as a gift.. Very lovely:)