Thursday, July 3, 2008

Shhh...It's quiet time

So just about everyday around here we have quiet time. This is something I grew up with as a child and now as a mother it is something I desperately need. However, my older boys always complain...you know it's like torture to make 10 and 6 year old boys sit still. My solution...
THE QUIET TIME BOX

Filled with various quiet things to do:
  • new drawing pad
  • crayons
  • small puzzles
  • new books
  • coloring book
  • Cranium grab and go game
  • flash cards

most everything came from the dollar store and I plan on gathering little things here and there to switch out in the box. The quiet time box only comes out at quiet time and everything must be put back in when done.

What works for you when a little QT is needed?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this idea - it is exactly what I need for my little 4 yr. old who has stopped taking naps, much to my sleep-deprived dismay! Currently we have been relying on books on tape from the library but somedays they just don't hold his attention for long.

Thanks for sharing this tip! And thanks for visiting SuperMom Central - it's so fun to meet new blog-friends!

Michie said...

That's funny - I grew up having to have quite time as a kid too! One thing that I remember my mother doing was that she would make a tape of herself reading some of my favorite stories. Nowadays, I guess you could make a CD, or get some books on tape for them to listen to. Actually, come to think of it, if you got a story they were really interested in, they'd have to be quiet enough to be able to hear the story, wouldn't they? Hmmm...

Anyway, I love the box idea!